Pages

A Visit To Wonderland...

Colleen Moore's Fairy Tale Castle...

“Fairy tales can come true, it can happen to you, if you’re young at heart.” ...
Lyrics from "Young at Heart".

As a young girl, I remember every summer my family would go to Chicago to visit my father's sister n' her husband. What a treat that was, for one of our many ventures would be a trip to the Museum of Science n' Industry; where my, all time favorite was to see the fairy castle. O' it was glorious... and now I remember the wonderment I felt as a child, I stood and gazed at the castle...with all my hopes and dreams locked up in those mystical moments!
You will see illustrations from every tale you've read...from Cinderella, The Three Bears to Robinson Crusoe and his man Friday, tapestries made with the tiniest stitches ever stitched, chandeliers made of gold, hung with real diamonds and emeralds and pearls, a small pistol that actually shoots, vessels n' statues dating back 4000 years ago. There is running water, magical gardens n' weeping willows.  
What really amazes me is the craftsmanship that went into the castle and to think that some of these miniature objects date back to 4000 years ago. Colleen's story of when this began is worth reading. I hope you enjoy the slide show and if you get to Chicago, visit the exhibits at the Museum of Science n' Industry.


 
Colleen Moore in her words gives you a guided tour...
"As you go around the corner, stop and look through the clear glass in the center of the chapel window. You will see the altar, and on this altar is a little tabernacle. On top of the tabernacle you will see a beautiful golden sunburst. In the center is a glass container holding a sliver of the true cross. This was given to me by my friend, Clare Booth Luce, when she was the Ambassador to Italy and had her first audience with the Pope. He gave this to her, and she gave it to me to put in the chapel of the Fairy Castle. "

Slideshow...http://www.msichicago.org/whats-here/exhibits/fairycastle/the-exhibit/kitchen/




Love n' Blessings,
Elizabeth


http://www.zazzle.com/cabbageroses*
http://www.trustiam.com/