Pages

Happy Thanksgiving!

Over the roads and around the lakes to grandmother's house we go. Oh, I remember those holidays, my first moments stepping into my grandparents home and getting the first wave of wonderful smells of Thanksgiving. Grandma, had baked pumpkin n' mince pies; fresh bread, vegetables n' fruit galore and of course the big stuffed turkey. The one dish I'll always remember is her caramelized sweet potatoes, which she fixed in a big cast iron skillet. I have never been able to match the flavor that I remember...but O' how I loved them!




Grandmother's Sweet Potatoes

Step 1: Boil the sweet potatoes (about 2 lbs) in their jackets in water until they are fork tender. Drain and cool slightly.



Step2: Peel potatoes and cut into slices about 1/2 inch thick.


Step3: Place in a large heavy skillet and add brown sugar (about 1/2 cup), a little *orange marmalade ( 3 to 4 tablespoons), with a dash of salt.


Step4: Dot with butter (2 to 4 tablespoons) and simmer on medium until bubbly lower heat and cook until caramelized, about 20 minutes. Serve warm n' enjoy!

*Some time you could experiment with honey, stone ground mustard, cinnamon n' nutmeg.




Wishing you and yours a blessed Thanksgiving Day,
Elizabeth